/ en / Traditional / help

Beats Biblionetz - Texte

The Datafied Welfare State

A Perspective from the UK
Lina Dencik
Zu finden in: New Perspectives in Critical Data Studies (Seite 145 bis 165), 2022 local web 
Erste Seite des Textes (PDF-Thumbnail)

iconZusammenfassungen

New Perspectives in Critical Data Studies

The crisis emerging from the COVID-19 pandemic has elevated the relevance of the welfare state as well as the role of platforms and data infrastructures across key areas of public and social life. Whilst the crisis shed light on the ways in which these might intersect, the turn to data-driven systems in public administration has been a prominent development in several countries for quite some time. In this chapter I focus on the UK as a pertinent example of key trends at the intersection of technological infrastructures and the welfare state. In particular, using developments in UK welfare sectors as a lens, I advance a two-part argument about the ways in which data infrastructures are transforming state-citizen relations through on the one hand advancing an actuarial logic based on personalised risk and the individualisation of social problems (what I refer to as responsibilisation) and, on the other, entrenching a dependency on an economic model that perpetuates the circulation of data accumulation (what I refer to as rentierism). These mechanisms, I argue, fundamentally shift the ‘matrix of social power’ that made the modern welfare state possible and position questions of data infrastructures as a core component of how we need to understand social change.

Von Lina Dencik im Buch New Perspectives in Critical Data Studies (2022) im Text The Datafied Welfare State

iconDieser wissenschaftliche Zeitschriftenartikel erwähnt ...

Personen
KB IB clear
Solon Barocas , Virginia Eubanks , Andrew D. Selbst

Begriffe
KB IB clear
Palantir , Plattformen , Predictive PolicingPredictive Policing
icon
Bücher
Jahr  Umschlag Titel Abrufe IBOBKBLB
2018 local  Automating Inequality (Virginia Eubanks) 1, 6, 9, 4, 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3 2193419
icon
Texte
Jahr  Umschlag Titel Abrufe IBOBKBLB
2016 local web  Big Data’s Disparate Impact (Solon Barocas, Andrew D. Selbst) 8900

iconZitationsgraph

Diese Grafik ist nur im SVG-Format verfügbar. Dieses Format wird vom verwendeteten Browser offenbar nicht unterstützt.

Diese Grafik fensterfüllend anzeigen (SVG)

iconAnderswo finden

icon

iconVolltext dieses Dokuments

Auf dem WWW The Datafied Welfare State: A Perspective from the UK: Artikel als Volltext @ Springer (lokal: PDF, 277 kByte; WWW: Link OK )

iconAnderswo suchen  Auch im Biblionetz finden Sie nicht alles. Aus diesem Grund bietet das Biblionetz bereits ausgefüllte Suchformulare für verschiedene Suchdienste an. Biblionetztreffer werden dabei ausgeschlossen.

iconBeat und dieser wissenschaftliche Zeitschriftenartikel

Beat hat Dieser wissenschaftliche Zeitschriftenartikel während seiner Zeit am Institut für Medien und Schule (IMS) ins Biblionetz aufgenommen. Beat besitzt kein physisches, aber ein digitales Exemplar. Eine digitale Version ist auf dem Internet verfügbar (s.o.). Aufgrund der wenigen Einträge im Biblionetz scheint er es nicht wirklich gelesen zu haben. Es gibt bisher auch nur wenige Objekte im Biblionetz, die dieses Werk zitieren.

iconBiblionetz-History Dies ist eine graphische Darstellung, wann wie viele Verweise von und zu diesem Objekt ins Biblionetz eingetragen wurden und wie oft die Seite abgerufen wurde.