The zones of proximal flow
guiding students through a space of computational thinking skills and challenges
Ashok R. Basawapatna, Alexander Repenning, Kyu Han Koh, Hilarie Nickerson
Zu finden in: ICER 2013 (Seite 67 bis 74), 2013
This paper presents a novel pedagogical framework, entitled the Zones of Proximal Flow, which integrates Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development theory with Csikszentmihalyi's ideas about Flow. Flow focuses on the individual-- an individual is in Flow when challenges are balanced with skills. The Zone of Proximal Development, on the other hand, brings in a social learning aspect focusing on a student's ability to learn concepts with external support. From our research experiences bringing game and simulation design into middle school classrooms, we attempt to provide students with appropriate challenges using a project-first based approach that aims to keep students in Flow. The project-first approach employs inquiry based scaffolding to guide students, with appropriate support by their teachers, through Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development, back in to Csikszentmihalyi's state of Flow for an ideal learning experience. We call this space the Zones of Proximal Flow. Data indicate that the Zones of Proximal Flow approach works, keeping classrooms engaged in the act of game design and enabling students to advance to more complex program creations.
Dieses Konferenz-Paper erwähnt ...
KB IB clear
|James Ambach, Ashok R. Basawapatna, Vicki E. Bennett, Andri Ioannidou, Caitlin Kelleher, Kyu Han Koh, Randy Pausch, Alexander Repenning, David Webb, Jeannette M. Wing|
KB IB clear
|AgentCubes, AgentSheets, computational thinkingcomputational thinking, Computational Thinking Pattern Analysis, Informatikcomputer science, Informatik-Unterricht (Fachinformatik)Computer Science Education, Lernenlearning, Programmiersprachenprogramming languages, PrototypingPrototyping, Simulation|
Dieses Konferenz-Paper erwähnt vermutlich nicht ...
- Scale or Fail - Moving beyond self-selected computer science education in Switzerland (Alexander Repenning) (2018)
- Teaching How to Teach Computational Thinking (Anna Lamprou, Alexander Repenning) (2018)
- Medienpädagogik und Didaktik der Informatik - Eine Momentaufnahme disziplinärer Bezüge und schulpraktischer Entwicklungen (2018)
- ICER 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research, ICER 2019, Toronto, ON, Canada, August 12-14, 2019 (Robert McCartney, Andrew Petersen, Anthony V. Robins, Adon Moskal) (2019)
- ITiCSE 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK, July 15-17, 2019 (Bruce Scharlau, Roger McDermott, Arnold Pears, Mihaela Sabin) (2019)
Volltext dieses Dokuments
|The zones of proximal flow: Fulltext at the ACM Digital Library (: , 2109 kByte; : 2020-05-28)|